Toward the cancer prevention: Chiba cancer registry
(Leader: Haruo MIKAMI, MD, PhD)
Summary of research:
Our laboratory has been managing a cohort study (JACC Study) since 1988 in collaboration with epidemiology divisions of universities in Japan, and has been assessing cancer risks based on collected questionnaires and serum samples. Also our division has been carrying out the population-based cancer registry in Chiba Prefecture (the Chiba Cancer Registry). Utilizing the registered data of over 400 thousand cases (from 1975 to 2007), we are conducting various follow-up surveys of cancer incidence. In 2006 we started a new molecular epidemiology cohort study (J-MICC Study) in collaboration with the public health divisions of universities and cancer centers in Japan. A follow-up survey of healthy volunteers over 20 years will be planned in order to assess the risk factors of life-style related diseases. In 2008 We succeeded the study group (Japanese association of clinical cancer centers) aimed for the cancer survival statistics of 32 nationwide cancer treatment-oriented hospitals.
Along with the molecular epidemioligy study, the our division is proceeding the following researches:
(1) Epidemiological study on health disorders related with asbestos.
(2) Assessment of carcinogenic risk caused by environmental factors ; such as relationship between air pollution and lung cancer (figure), electro-magnetic field and blood cancers.
Hospital-based cancer registry and its application to the clinical studies.
Cancer registry, cancer epidemiology, molecular epidemiology.
Recent main publications:
- Naito M et al. Nagoya J Med Sci 2008; 70: 107-15.
- Lin Y et al. J Epidemiol 2008; 18:77-83.
- 三上ら, JACR monograph 2008; 13: 51-2.
- 三上ら, JACR monograph 2007; 12: 14-5.